(Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure)
Basic Steps of the LANAP® Protocol
For the millions of people who suffer from periodontal disease, the LANAP® protocol (Laser Assisted New Attachment Procedure) a minimally invasive gum disease treatment that offers relief with less downtime and less discomfort.
LANAP® is a laser gum surgery protocol that utilizes the PerioLase® MVP-7™ to selectively target and eliminate diseased tissue and bacteria without the use of scalpels or sutures. This is also the only gum disease treatment proven to regenerate bone.
What is the Process involved in Having Laser Gum Surgery in Lafayette, LA?
1. Before beginning the laser gum surgery, Dr. Guilliot will use a probe to measure the pockets of your gums to assess the attachment lost before beginning the gum disease treatment.
2. The PerioLase® MVP-7™, the only FDA cleared protocol for gum disease treatment, is used to pulse laser light into the pockets. Laser gum surgery is able to successfully target diseased tissue and bacteria due to the fact that the laser light is not absorbed in water. This gum disease treatment results in all healthy tissue remaining intact.
3. Ultrasonic scalers are then used in this gum disease treatment to remove calculus from your root surfaces under the gum line.
4. The laser is utilized again to stimulate the soft tissue, root, and bone in the pockets and creates a clot. This serves to form a seal around the teeth, facilitating a closed healing environment after laser gum surgery.
5. The soft tissue is pressed against the root surface to complete the laser gum surgery.
6. Dr. Guilliot will evaluate any impact to your teeth from this gum disease treatment and adjust your bite if necessary.
Am I a Good Candidate for This Gum Disease Treatment?
Almost anyone with periodontal disease is a candidate for laser gum surgery. Laser gum surgery is safe and effective even for patients who are not eligible for traditional surgery. There are no contraindications with laser gum surgery so even patients with existing medical conditions are considered a good candidate for this gum disease treatment. A consultation with Dr. Guilliot can help you discover if laser gum surgery is the right gum disease treatment for you.
Dr. J. Albert Guilliot, located in Lafayette, LA, is a Dentist who services patients from Rayne, LA, Breaux Bridge, LA, and Carencro, LA. We are looking forward to welcoming you to our office and encourage you to schedule your appointment today!